Thursday, September 5, 2013

Let's get Organized...!

Don't you just love it when September comes and you can get organized again? 
Each day I check my list of things to do. I find it so gratifying when I am able to cross off that which I have accomplished. And if I don't get it all done...it's no big deal--there's still tomorrow. 
Some of you may have been brought up with the quote: "Cleanliness is next to godliness." But, growing up in Argentina, my mother made it very clear to me: "Hilda, before you leave a room, turn around, and check to see if everything is back in place." All this in Low German, of course. 
I was ten years old at the time, but her advice still rings in my head just before I leave a room. And some days I even say--in my mind--"Sorry, Mom, this will have to wait till later." 
The box was given to me by one of my students a couple of years ago. I use it to organize the days of the week. I know, I know, don’t laugh! But the weeks go by so fast, and if I don’t have my days organized, I miss out on doing the other things that are important to me. And the ideas and stories that come to me or questions that I have, I write down in these colourful books, which I picked up at the Dollarama store for two bucks!

•The books are colour coded. 
The book with the pink elastic--oh, why not!--is for the stories and events I remember about my mother. And the one with the blue elastic--you guest it--is for my father's stories. Red is for my blog and yellow for my meditation--that's where I remember family, friends and you. The purple one is still empty, but something will come up, sooner or later...

•The box is divided into days of the week by heavyweight index cards.
The first thing I did was to make a list of all the rooms in our house. Then, on 3x5 card files, I wrote down the name of each room: living room, kitchen, bathroom, etc., and all the things that I thought needed doing in each room. 

By the way, I also have a list of things for Peter to do (: 
It's my "non-nagging" list.

This system works for me, and you may have to find your own way of getting things done. Easy for me, I know. I'm retired and have no kids circling around me all day long--sad to say...or...not...? 

 And if organizing isn't your thing, "Well...there you go!"

 
Yes, these are our peaches and that's the peach tree on the other side of the fence. My jam is made and the peach platz looks delicious. Are you coming for coffee?
Yesterday morning I worked in the garden, and after Peter came home--I still hadn't had enough of it--we attacked the garden. I have been feeling amazingly well this week--we won't talk about last week--and so have been able to accomplish quite a bit--inside and outside. Looks like I am into "fall cleanup."

Did you know that:

•The MCC Relief Sale is on this weekend in Abbotsford, BC? Perhaps we'll see you there...?

And if you still don't feel like cleaning up, here is...

Pilgrim Mass in Santiago, by St. Theresa of Avil

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things pass away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things.
He who has God
Finds he lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.

Take good care,
Hilda


3 comments:

  1. I love that part about being organized...If you don't organize you miss out on the things that matter most. It was fun to exchange words and hugs and the MCC Sale. I'm trying to get organized for the fall once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure was a lot of fun! I looking forward to the MCC sale mostly to see you and your lovely group of friends (MGCC). Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Schade,,, ich kann nicht kommen...
    Aber viel Spass euch da, und passt auf, alles schön aufräumen. :-) meine Mama hat auch mich so gedrillt. Musst immer bereit sein Besuch zu empfangen...

    ReplyDelete