Saturday, October 25, 2014

Walking Along...

Yes, I am so happy that I am able to walk again. I started at the end of last month (Sep.) and guess what, we walked 10 km. today. I still can't see with my right eye, but at least I can walk.
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...,
Then took the other, as just as fair.
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
--Robert Frost


We passed the golf course. Looks awfully empty today.
Peter is reading information about paragliding. But I see a white chair, and if you have time and care to read
what we did last Sunday...:

Walking to the Ranchers Restaurant                      

On Sunday, Oct. 19, 2014, Peter and I walked to the Ranchers Restaurant for a late breakfast. I didn’t feel like being in church with a sore and inflamed eye. The distance is 3.5 km. from home which we hadn’t walked for a couple of years; by car many times before. But the feeling inside me that I could do this by walking was strong in me and so we set out. This was huge for me.
It was a lovely morning even though it looked as if the clouds could let loose at any time and out would’ve come my umbrella. In the distance we could see that we were not the only ones walking, for up ahead we could see a lone figure slowly walking, perhaps also enjoying the day.
On the way back we again passed the spot where the paragliders land in the summer time. We turned to see who had addressed us. It was a native, perhaps in his 40s, who probably had been sitting there when we walked past him earlier on our way to the restaurant. He asked if we knew when the paragliders would be come down. 
“On Sundays, between noon and five o’clock” I said, and added, for the sake of a bit more information, “We have been up there before.” We had driven there with my Land Rover after Peter had talked to one of the instructors. The way up had been steep and full of pot holes with branches slapping the sides of my poor Land Rover. What a lovely way to initiate the vehicle!
“Too cold now,” Peter commented.
The native jumped off the white plastic chair he had been sitting on, and waddling over he walked along with us.
Peter told him a bit of what we had gone through. He then shared about his brain aneurism, the time he spent in hospital recuperating and recovering from his drug addiction. Once he was home, his girlfriend had reamed him out for smoking, and so he had quit that as well. 
We came to the roundabout where we parted ways, and we realized once again that each person we meet has his own story to tell. 

*******

I haven't driven nor cycled for over a year and walking feels SO good. And we walked on and on.

My blood test was good last week. I hope it stays that way for a long, long time. My right eye...? They may have to do an eye biopsy next Tuesday to see what is going on.

Take good care,

Hilda


:




No comments:

Post a Comment