Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Shingles


That's right, shingles, and not the roof type either.
Here I thought I would blog about our wonderful little adventure to Vancouver Island with Werner and Frieda, but, that was not meant to be.
Oh, we had a great first day sailing on calm waters, talking, coffeeing, and doing a bit of shopping on the ship--it is a great place for buying earrings--hadn't done that in a very long time. 
And when "something" says, "Buy me, buy me," what is a person to do?
ARRIVAL TIME: 3:30 P.M.

We arrived at our B&B for high tea half an hour late, but that didn't seem to be a problem. We were kindly served by a young girl. 
Each couple was served a large plate, to be shared, of fruit and baked goodies-very delicious.
I did not take a photo, I thought I had tomorrow and the next day for that. 
Afternoon tea may well have been started by the French in the 17th century. 
 "What a wonderful tradition..."
After tea, we found our own rooms, and settled down for a little afternoon siesta.
That evening, we watched news, played games, and ate crackers, cheese, yogurt, and whatever else we had brought from home--we were still full from "high tea."
Next day...
SYMPTOMS
I woke up feeling too sick for anything. 
Missed out on having a good time with friends--who totally understood how I felt and were very sympathetic--and a great breakfast!
Something was not right. This felt worse than the chemo I had been going through.
Stabs of pain in my head and my right red blotchy eye was closing up on me. It felt like glass was cutting it.
My guess was...shingles!
When you are on chemo, your immune system is low, and therefore much more susceptible to shingles, etc. 
Looking back to mid-October, I had had sharp pains in my head. Deep inside I had the thought, that perhaps I had a brain tumor. Not a nice thought!
I just wanted to go home and be in my own bed.
And, as they say in Low German, "Eine Striep noh Hues!" (literally, one fast way to home)
But as you can imagine, things did not go fast. 
With the sailing home, stopping at the doctor's office and finding out that they were way too full to take me, and then waiting at emergency, which took two hours before I got to see a doctor (in the past I have waited up to 6 hours), and picking up the prescription, yes, for shingles, all took time.
We made it home 
by 7:30 p.m.
PRESCRIPTION
•PMS-VALACYCLOVIR 500MG
-Pills to be taken twice daily
•VIROPTIC
-Two drops twice daily for ten days, and...
Thankfully, I am up and around. 
  I slept for four days--not sure what was in those pills--and couldn't eat for three; Saturday I started eating a bit. Not a very nice way to lose 6 pounds. Had to be careful that I didn't touch the right side of my face and then touch my left side with the same hand--didn't want my good side to get infected as well, so I used a lot of tissue if something irritated me on my face. 
I also needed total darkness--light hurt my eye even more. 
Anyway, I am on the mend, and that is a good thing!
But, get this: 

First they tell me to cut back on salt--my blood pressure is a bit on the high side--and a couple of days before a CT scan, they tell me to load up on salt!
"Some 'things' in life don't make much sense. Do they...?"
So, here I am, watching Cityline, and eating a chicken sandwich with pickles, chips...did I say chips!? TOSTITOS here we come! and...apple sauce made by my new chef whose name just happens to be Peter (:

Spanish Dancer

 "Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain". Unknown
Hilda
PS--Just got a phone call from the Vancouver Cancer AGCY, reminding me of my appointment on Thursday, and, to drink lots of water. "No, you don't have to eat salty things, as long as you drink lots. Salt makes you thirsty."
Well, what do you know. They could have told me that before!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say, except that you are on my mind and I was praying for you as I raked up leaves and was thinking about you riding your bike past my house...with your big smile...I will continue praying as you go through your treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solar shingles offer many benefits that traditional solar panels do not. For instance the size of solar shingles make them so much easier to integrate into a house then a bulky panel.

    Iko roofing

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing, really enjoyed this article, look forward to coming back and reading more

    ReplyDelete