Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chemo 4, Friends and Mostly Knitting

Today, is round three of chemo.
(Feb. 16, 17, 18 – the computer was down for a couple of days)
Yes, believe it or not, but here I go again. 
Am I mad? You bet I am! 
And sad, and disappointed, and, and, and, so many different feelings running through me.

Once a month, for three days, I take three pills a day called Etoposide (at home). So far I am feeling pretty good, but in a few days my immune system will go way down, and then I will feel pretty weak and who knows what. So far I have not felt a change in the lump under my left arm pit. Patience.

To keep our minds on other things...we celebrate.
(l-r) Eve, Laurie, Betty Lou, Hilda B., Elma, Hilda G., Arlene, Mary, Heidi, Marg–the birthday girl.
Location: Harvest Store and Cafe on Mill St.
The macarons I brought from Paris with these friends in mind. You can see that they split a bit because I put them in the fridge as soon as we came home. But still tasted good. They make a BIG fuss over there over them; it all has to do with the procedure of creating them: the right flour, the right temperature, the age of the egg, how long you beat the dough, etc.
Breakfast. Happy Valentine's Day!
The dishes are a gift from Sandra to make us feel good. Thank you. Should use them more often!
One says, Hello handsome and the other one, Morning gorgeous.

My Christmas gift from Peter was a soprano ukulele (made by Martin and Co.). I keep practicing and there are signs of improvement already.
I read a lot of books on my ereader. It's so easy to order a book, especially while reading in bed. (Ha. No photo of that!)
Peter picked up a book for me at Coles. 
Oh, yes, and as you can see, I also decided to go strawberry blond. Strawberry blond ... sounds good, eh? Changes are good, especially while I still have hair. 
Yesterday, was my second knitting class.
What fun we have! I am not a total beginner, but I chose to make a big scarf for Andrea (daughter). She asked if I was going to knit her a hat as well. Of course I will––but I am sure I will need help with that. By the time I'm finished perhaps winter will be over in Winnipeg. There is always next winter... 
It's not about how much we get done in one evening, but a time for friends to get together for show and tell, share our stories and joke around. Sometimes the stories are on a more serious note and other times the room bursts with peals of laughter, coming mostly from our side of the table, as we knit and talk. Mennonites at this end and the Dutch on the other, with others in between. 
We are all happy to be there.
On Ontario Ave.
Bought some more wool today. I finished two scarves. 
When the owner asked me what size needles I was using, my reply was, "two baguettes." 
Your arms become the needles.
Looks like this is serious business!

Keep doing what you like doing.

 Love,
Hilda

PS–Peter's dad had a new pace maker put in this morning at the St. Paul's Hospital. All is well at 102! That should give him a few more years!

3 comments:

  1. I love your baquettes. I missed you this last week and next week also...but I would love to chauffeur you around...just to have some fun chewing on baquettes. I will teach Silas how to do that. So good to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you like crazy as well. Have a wonderful time with your kids. How is the leg holding out? Elma told us a bit about your wheelchair adventure and then we started to make fun about who all would need to be pushed around in a wheelchair whenever we went traveling. Too funny. Take good care,

      Delete
  2. Happy Knitting. Love the colour (scarf and hair)! Can hardly wait to use it and I'm sure winter will be here for a while. :(
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete