Saturday, May 25, 2013

My PEDEGO

PEDEGOest I will go...                  Monday, March 25, 2013

My Pedego (the name of my bike) has made me feel young again, powerful and healthy/er. What fun I am having! Fresh air and exercise. Well, the air isn’t always as fresh as it could be, after all,  we live in the Fraser Valley. But I do see the country side in a much different way--for one, everything is much closer now. The cows, sheep, geese, donkeys and horses actually look up from their grazing to see who that crazy lady is flitzing by on her blue bike! No worries, 
soon they will get to know me.


She is a beauty! N’est pas? And as far as the exercise part, I have a little help––and sometimes a lot––from that little silver box you see at the back of my bike. That, mon amie, is the battery, which when fully charged is able to take me around––without assist––for 60 km. 
When I was a kid, I rode my bike all the time––I’m there again. This bike came to my rescue since I still don’t have the strength to ride up the hills or for too great a distance. But now with my Pedego, I put on 20 km. no problema. Poor Peter, when we ride together he has a hard time keeping up with me. I have thought of using a tow rope...Actually he does very well. 
Okay, the sun is shining again and so it’s time to put on my cycling clothes and go exploring. It helps me forget about blood tests, CT scans and oncologist appointments.  
My bike has a basket up front which makes me feel very European. Now if only I could find a bakery along the way that knew how to bake a delicious baguette. If only...

Hilda


PEDEGOest I will go...                          Wed. April 3, 2013
Today, with my Nikon camera around my neck, I will give you a bit of a guided tour around the countryside since you are not here to enjoy the ride and the scenery with me. Sometimes I stop to snap a photo and other times I just aim and hope for the best.
As you can see, this barn has been here for a while. Two weeks ago, you would have seen a large Santa Clause standing in the window looking at the view and the vehicles going by. Would love to see what’s inside...

I am still on Castleman Rd. heading West. And no, that’s not my 
bike.


I am sure this one has put on many kilometres in it’s younger years––the hard way! Helga Pankonin tells me that this was Erica’s idea.

The van den Brink’s (Alfred and Cora) driveway is beautifully lined with cherry blossoms. I taught three of their children. By now they are all grown up and the oldest one has children of her own.

 The large red barns are filled with dairy cattle.


I have made a right turn onto Chapman Road. How would you like these two in your front yard? At least you wouldn’t have to mow 
the lawn.



 Come to think of it, I see a good number of donkeys in this area 
fenced in among horses, sheep or goats.

There are many grand old gnarly trees I pass and admire, but this one made me stop and turn around because it was worth a picture.


Not because of its large scar where it had lost a limb, but because of the dandelion plant that is growing right next to it. How in the world did it get up there? I am sure it has been there for many years and Peter and I have driven passed it many times, but when you are on your bike––or going for a walk––you begin to see the little details, and that I find so uplifting...As the saying goes, “God is in the details.”


A little further and I pass my brother-in-law’s place. My sister, Erica, died in 2008, and a year ago Victor Klassen married the lovely Susan Thiessen who originally hailed from Manitoba. The four of us get along very well and spend time eating together and playing Nuscht.   

Another interesting tree. And what do you suppose happened to 
it?


As you can see, there are no vehicles around. It is such a pleasure cycling––or driving––along these roads on a sunny day.  

I have turned north on to Campriver Rd., where the road follows the Hope Slough and that’s where I see a lot of ducks swimming in the water. Behind the clouds are the Cascade Mountains. I have made a right onto Ferry Rd. and another right onto Bustin Rd.



For this photo I again had to turn around. Why would anyone leave their rubber boots on this side of the barb wire fence!?

Easter is over and the last bunny hops away. Or is that a wooly sheep?
Heading home, going east along Old Yale Rd., I pass the 
Rosedale Park, and in the distance I hear the train’s whistle.
I increase my speed and cross the railroad tracks before the crossing lights go on and the warning arms come down. As I cross the rough tracks I slow down, otherwise the contents in my basket (water bottle, energy bar, dog spray, orange vest and a little black bag with my ID and a bit of cash) would spill out. I look left and see the train’s headlights a ways off. I made it safely across and a few minutes later the CN train passes by heading west.
As you can see in my last photo, I have a nice straight stretch ahead and no cars behind me––they have been stopped by the crossing train. 
It has been another lovely cycling day and there is so much to be thankful for. Next time, bring your bike along. I promise to slow down. Way down... 

Hilda


No comments:

Post a Comment