Saturday, May 25, 2013

Popkum--First Nation

PEDEGOest I will go...                                     Monday, April 8, 2013



The sun pushed its way over the mountains and through cumulous clouds this morning, so my bike and I headed east towards Popkum. This community is named  after the Popkum First Nation which is located nearby the Fraser River; the name means “puffballs.” Do you remember stepping on them, hearing them go “pop” and “puff?”




But, before I left, I was greeted by JWs. 
“Looks like you are just on your way out for a bike ride.” He could tell by my cycling getup––blue matching helmet and all––that I was ready to go. 
“Yes I am.”
He was friendly enough. “Well, I was just going to talk to you about the Bible.”
I smiled back and said, “I just finished having my devotions.” 
Satisfied with my answer he left to knock on Rita’s door, but I don’t think he had much luck there either. As I passed his car I noticed that he was jotting something down into a book. I guess we got checked off.
In our bible study we are studying Psalms 145 which is a psalm of praise and joy; David proclaiming the greatness and majesty of God.
For proof, not that I need proof, I get on my bike and take it all in...
             
Looming over the valley are the Cascade Mountains. I would love to tell you more about them but will save that for when I get a clearer photo. 
Cycling along Bunker Rd. I see an old weathered beaten barn. I wonder how long this barn has been standing...Do you think it belonged to Mr. and Mrs. Bunker?
Perhaps you feel the same way I do, I absolutely love old barns. 
The blackberry shrubs in the foreground also look old and dried up. But soon the leaves will emerge and come fall the berries will ripen and make the best jelly ever. Well, perhaps second to raspberry. 
I made a loop and now I’m back on Yale Rd. still heading east paralleling with the Trans-Canada Hwy. (aka Hwy. #1).

 As you can see, the coast is clear. Almost too clear! The only thing I worry about is being confronted by a bear who is tired of hibernating and very hungry. My bike is fast, but not fast enough to outride him! I look ahead and shift into high gear. 

After some great stretches of clear smooth pavement and just before Yale Rd. ends, I ride across the overpass, over the highway and west on Bridal Falls Rd. There is a very steep hill ahead but PEDEGO is strong and soon we are on level ground again.


Camperland RV Resort, Bridal Falls BC - YouTube is to my left. Apparently it is a 5-star resort and offers the finest in facilities and amenities. We have never camped here, only driven through just out of curiosity and once to see Mike and Eleanor Girard and their four boys. It’s a good place to camp, just a little too close to home.
To my right is newcountrydecor.com. It looks like a junk yard, but Peter and I have bought a number of wrought iron pieces for our garden––because the price was right. This arch is one example. I believe the little lights are staying on year round. Here is Peter hoeing in our strawberry patch; Camellia bush in the foreground.  
This is our favourite eatery: The Rancher’s Restaurant Gas & Service Station.
No, you do not need to wear a cowboy hat in order to eat here. Nor do you need to own a red truck. We have come here with friends for dinner, but most of the time we go here for breakfast and mostly with Werner and Frieda (Peter’s cousin) Bartel. Friday nights we will get an email saying, “Hey, U2, are you up to having breaky with us? See you at 9:00 a.m.” 
The Rancher’s Restaurant Gas & Service Station has been around a long time. I recently heard someone say, since 1945––but by a different name. The food and service is very good. Sadly, about four months ago, the owner was jaywalking in Coquitlam, and was struck down and killed by a vehicle. His wife and daughter are now running the restaurant and gas station. 
Next on my rout is Bridal Falls Golf Club. It is a nine hole course with a challenging driving range. And yes, there are people golfing today. Some crazies golf all year round! We have seen a couple of brown bears grazing here while walking to the Rancher’s Restaurant, so now I’m a little leery about going golfing here.  
Not the greatest photo of Hwy #1, but it kind of shows you the rout I took. The old barn would be to the left and the golf course to the right. From here, it takes me five minutes to get home.

Sussex Dr. and I am almost home. No need to keep the motor on, this is an easy flat stretch. My odometer reads 16 km.
In our garden: The garlic, Peter planted in the fall; the rhubarb will soon become rhubarb Platz (check out the recipe in Mennonite Girls Can Cook: Fruit Platz); and the sage is growing for it’s purple colour.
         

Talking about food, I just remembered my homemade yogurt in the oven. It is super easy to make.



All you need are these two ingredients:

4 cups of whole milk & 1-2 tbsp. of plain yogurt (I like the Greek one)
I pour about 4 cups of whole milk in a saucepan (no need to measure), set my stove on 9 (3 o’clock) and the timer for 5 minutes. DO NOT LEAVE! Stick around and wait until the milk rises to the top once. Take the saucepan off the element, set your timer to 45 minutes after which the milk should have cooled down enough for you to stir in 1-2 tbsp. of plain yogurt that you bought at your favourite grocery store. Pour milk into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap or clean shower cap, and place in oven overnight with oven light on. If you make it in the morning, the yogurt should be ready in about six hours. You can use 2% milk, but the yogurt will be a little runnier. Scoop off the extra liquid if you want to.
My niece, Helga Pankonin, and I, have been taking Indian cooking classes close to home, and this is how Anu makes yogurt. Enjoy!
Namaste, (salutation originating from the Hindus)
Hilda

No comments:

Post a Comment